Friday, June 29, 2012

Without Electricity

I don't know if you faithful blog followers have noticed my web silence of late, but indeed the power has been out for the last two days.  It went out Tuesday evening, and just came back late Thursday evening (in fact, I had already gone to bed, so I was woken up by the cheering of my housemates).  Let me tell you, life without power in Africa is interesting.  The blackout was our entire side of town--apparently some wires somewhere got covered in water.  No power meant no lights, no air conditioning, no water (pump runs on electricity), no electrical outlets, and no Internet.  Everything in the fridge went bad, and we're still fighting the stink.   Anyway, we managed, taking showers with no water pressure in the dark, and playing lots of Mafia by flashlight.  During the second evening, I thought I had solved the problem of our miserably warm nights without air conditioning.  I exclaimed, "Greg, let's go get the fan!"  I couldn't understand why he wasn't getting excited by my ingenious idea--until I realized than my brilliant plan required the very electricity the lack of which had landed us in the quandry in the first place!  Needless to say, we had a good laugh at that.  So I have two days of Internet and computer-related tasks backlogged, but I will get new posts up soon.  Gotta love Africa! And I truly do. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Oh Drake I totally would have said something like that! Oh funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drake we were just without power for 24 hours too...I guess 48 is worse than 24 but crazy!! We had some insane thunder and lightning storms that took out power until last night! Glad you're safe. P.S. How stupid am I that when I first red this post I thought, "wow I didn't know they had electricity there in the first place!" Geez I'm an idiot!

    ReplyDelete