Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 1 in Mozambique

Well, if you didn't know already, I'm in Mozambique!  I got here yesterday afternoon after two days of airports and airplanes. It was eerie and awesome how at home I felt. It felt as though I hadn't left--I know the house, the kitchen, the road, the potholes. I know not to turn the hot water knob too far or it will fall off, and go easy on the toilet paper or else. I know the Care For Life staff, the huts, the humanitarian projects, and the camaraderie that is so strong in a team working hard toward a meaningful goal.  

I had a great conversation today with one of the other volunteers about how some experiences, often those on your mission for example, are so powerful and unique that you cannot explain them adequately for others.   I feel like Africa is also one of these experiences.   It is truly incredible and life-changing and wonderful.  I cannot wait to find out what I discover about the world, about life, and about myself this time.

We went into the villages to teach sewing today.   I worked with Jose (pronounced HOE-ZAY) and Isaias (EE-ZIY-EE-UZ) to sew their backpacks.  I love sitting with the kids, especially the older ones, and talking with them.   I think they're a bit taken back by this tall white muzungo (Portuguese for gringo) who comes into their village and starts chatting it up.   But by the end, Jose was joking with me, begging to take pictures, with my camera, and asking when we would come back.  Great first day.

Isaias, Me, and Jose

16 comments:

  1. Drake you are just awesome! What else can I say!!
    Wish I was there. Love those cute kids a little extra for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drake, you look soooo happy! I have already added you to my favorites so that I can vicariously volunteer/vaca with you this summer. Good to know you can sew, may be useful next year:) Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, Drake this is awesome! I'm so excited for you! Second, make this mental note...when you're in Mozambique a post with one single picture will never ever EVER satisfy!!!!! ; ) - Ceri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Margie, Ms. Bartee, and Ceri! I love it when people comment. More pictures coming just for you Ceri.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy Drake! I like reading about your adventures there. Thanks for sharing with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like I gotta brush up on my português.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful! I will keep an eye on you all summer. I agree with Ceri about one picture not being enough!Keep us posted and be safe.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Sending lots of good thoughts your way. Enjoy and be safe!- Andrea Hill

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Drake! This is wonderful! I hope you have an amazing summer. I know you will have a incredible impact on these youngsters! Thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the comments, everybody! It's fun to know who's reading. I'm excited for Week 2 already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Drake--Just Doreen here--enjoying retirement. How do you manage to do missionary work every summer? Do you have a sponsor? It must be nice to get away. Don't you miss your family? The kids there are lucky to have a teacher like yourself around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just live frugally during the year and save up for it. A ticket to Africa is pretty expensive. Since I'm a family of one, it's kind of like a family vacation. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been thinking about you so I was so happy to discover this blog! I shall put it in my favorites too. Look forward to reading/seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,

    I am so happy that you are happy! Faith said, "Hi!" Take lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like all of us, we want pictures. You look so happy and relaxed. Enjoy your days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so awesome Drake! I had no idea you were doing this until I was on my school email. First time since school was out. I have to agree with the "more pictures" theme. This seems like such a rewarding thing to do. I would love to do something of this sort. Enjoy your experiences and all the best to you! I will be anxiously awaiting your posts!
    Joleen Claessens

    ReplyDelete