Saturday, July 2, 2011

Vegas to Africa!

So the chief reason I shall resume blogging in earnest is to tell the tales of my Africa travels. I'm going to Mozambique! I leave tonight--see attached visual travel itinerary. :)


Drake Going to Mozambique FAQ

Q: Why are you going to Mozambique?
A: I've always been fascinated by this country. For a long time, I've wanted to go to Africa, and Mozambique in particular. After my mission in Brazil, I learned a lot about Mozambique because it's one of only eight countries where Portuguese is the official language. Turns out my interest in Mozambique is more longstanding then I thought--the other day I was searching through my old schoolwork is search of an essay I'd written I wanted to read to my kids and lo and behold, guess what I found? A travel brochure I'd made in sixth grade all about...you guessed it!...Mozambique! I attached it below in case you want to take a look. :)

Q: What will you be doing in Mozambique?
A: I am going to Mozambique with a non-profit foundation called Care for Life. The current plan is that I will work within an area of their organization called Income Generation. This program teaches business skills to Mozambicans so that they can become self-reliant and qualify for micro-credit. I will also be in the country the same time as a humanitarian team, so hopefully I will also get to visit orphanages and teach vocational skills occasionally as well. I will also be revitalizing my Portuguese language skills, enjoying the warm winter of the southern hemisphere, and all around enjoying my summer in Africa.

Q: How long will you be in Mozambique?
A: Four weeks, July 4 through July 31.

Q: How are you feeling about your trip to Mozambique?
A: Okay, I guess.... Are you kidding?!?! I'm so stoked--I can't believe I am actually going. It is going to be awesome, incredible, and super super rad!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them in the comments. Africa, here I come!


3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, my favorite part is your 6th grade travel brochure. This is a major reminder of you, sitting at the kitchen table, being your over-achiever self! Cracks me up. Especially because I remember making one too, and I remember trying to space things out more and having too big of a font, trying to make it take up more room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drake! That is so neat that you get to go to Africa--especially working for such a great cause! Thanks for posting your blog post on gmail. I will definitely be coming on to hear all about the amazing things you get to do and experience over the next few weeks. Good luck and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyx - Isn't that the story of our school lives?
    Kristen - Thanks so much for commenting, great to hear from you--I know I owe you a long email when I get back, and I'll write it, I promise. Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete