Sunday, June 24, 2012

Gorongoza National Park Night 1

The road to Gorongoza is full of huge, deep potholes.   That
means the drive there is an adventure, to say the least.  :)

Everybody in the shapa on the way to Gorongoza

So randomly we ended up in the same safari jeep as a Mozambican
TV star named Stewart.  They filmed our whole safari and us--I'm going
 to be on Mozambican TV! :)
Besides being a beautiful scene, this picture is also full of animals
too small to see, warthogs, birds, impalas, etc.

Can you find the monitor lizard?

Sunset on the plains of Africa.
 We stayed in these nice bungalows in a place called Chitengo, near the center of the park.  It was probably the equivalent of a one-star hotel, but for us it felt like a serious upgrade--I had a scalding hot shower, and I could make it as long as I wanted!   After the safari we rendezvoused at the restaurant for a buffet dinner, which was also fit for kings.   I actually asked to see the cook (which surprised them I'm sure to have a white guy ask them in fluent Portuguese, I think they thought I was mad) and told him that the food was amazing.  Veal, cod with potatoes, rice with bacon, meat bread, rolls with real butter, salad, and a variety of fluffy and warm desserts (yay for sponge cake)!   When we went back to our bungalow, I felt so content.  I was clean, full, and just plain happy--the whole experience had a bit of that vacation fun feel.   It felt good to be in Africa, and I knew that I was getting exactly what I was hoping from the experience once again.   Thank you, Africa!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha sorry I left a comment signed in as Justin so I deleted it :) What I meant to say was can I copy your post and put it on my blog?! I love the pic of the pot hole-- I seriously might steal that one! Also, we miss you! We're in Houston, TX right now... almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie, Yes, of course!! You can link to it to if you want, steal away! You are also missed here. The boys in English class asked for you two specifically tonight. Keep being awesome!

    ReplyDelete