Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Music

I love music. Music has power to edify, inspire, calm, excite, pacify, encourage; I can be as angry as I'll get out, but play a song I like and in 3 minutes and 36 seconds (give or take) I'm a renewed man. :) That's pretty amazing in my book.

Here's a bit about me and music. First, it's a select group of songs that can have the magical effect described--not just any music will do. Second, I've discovered that I usually need one of two things to like a song--a positive connection or time. Allow me to explain. While I would never probably have liked "Apologize" by One Republic on my own, my roommates in Sparks designated it as our apartment theme song, so because in my head I connect the song with those roommates I love, I also love the song. This explains why I love soundtracks--because they are connected to movies. The other thing I need to like a song is time. I've discovered that I need to hear songs several times--I rarely love a song from the first time I hear it. But as I hear it more, the song grows on me, and I often end up loving it.

Finally, music and me go through distinct phases. First is the acquaintance phase, where I get to know a song and see if we're going to mesh. If we do, then comes the honeymoon phase. I can't seem to get enough of the song, and I listen to it over and over, at home, in the car. Then after listening to it so much, I'm tired of the song and it it usually moves into the Christmas card phase--I still like it, but I'll listen to it only occasionally.

I've added a little music player to my blog. I'm gonna try it out. My current favorite music is by Owl City. I remember when I first heard his music I thought the lyrics were nonsensical and I didn't like any of it. His music has, however, grown on me, and I'm definitely in the honeymoon phase right now. I actually like how the lyrics are totally random--they're quite poetic if you think about it. I've laughed out loud several times hearing some of his song lyrics for the first time. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love Owl City's lyrics! They are awesome and random, maybe that's why I like them so much. They are like me. :)

    ReplyDelete