Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Teach for America 2010 Corps

I made it! I'm in! I'm accepted into Teach for America! I've been accepted to teach elementary school in Las Vegas Valley! How 'bout that?!?!

Las Vegas was my second choice, and I'm ecstatic about it. It's closer to home, and also close to the southern Utah that I love. There's a strong LDS single population, and it's definitely not too cold! Elementary school was my least preferred choice, so that surprised me, but the more I think about it, the more I think I could love it--I mean, I'd get to teach all the subjects instead of just one!


This was great news, and I feel privileged to be accepted into this prestigious organization, and excited about what it could mean for me.

Here were some of my communications from yesterday. Yippee!

---------------------------------------------

Dear Drake,

I am pleased to extend you an offer to join the Teach For America 2010 corps! This offer to join Teach For America reflects your outstanding accomplishments, leadership potential, and commitment to expanding educational opportunities for children in low-income communities.

---------------------------------------------

Congratulations! We are pleased to invite you to join the 2010 Teach For America corps and are excited to assign you to teach elementary school (K through 5) in the Las Vegas Valley .

---------------------------------------------

I just wanted to reach out today and say CONGRATULATIONS on being accepted into Teach For America!!!! In our most competitive year to date, you are among a very select group of people we're extending offers to this year to become a part of our 2010 corps. I am so excited for you!

---------------------------------------------

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations Drake! That is great news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drake I am still so excited for you!! You're definitely going to keep this updated right? And will you let me give you stuff for your files?? :) Like holiday worksheets, coloring stuff, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,
    Thank you! Isn't that just great news! Yes, I will be updating my blog with teaching adventures--that is the plan. And OF COURSE I will want everything you've got. I have this idea to create like a board of directors which consists of good teachers I know, who will share all of their wisdom, tips, and tricks with me. I would love your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you Drake! Way to go. I'm so proud :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations from a fellow 2010 TFA corps member! I've been accepted and placed in St. Louis.

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laurie,

    Thank you! Congratulations to you! Were you hoping to be placed in St. Louis? I enjoyed reading your blog posts so far. Isn't this just great we've been accepted?! Out of curiousity, how did you find my blog? Thanks again for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Drake this is Derek's Sister's, Glad to see you have a Blog too.
    Congrats on the TFA 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it Andrea?

    Thanks so much for commenting, I really enjoy finding out who's reading my blog and what they think. I'm so excited about TFA--I think it will be a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes it's Andrea, Rachelle was there too. i think you will be a good teacher, i wish i could get a few more experiences like this under my belt... great talking to you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Drake! Congratulations! I'm a TFA Miami '09, and to preempt your question I honestly did a Google search with the terms LDS and Teach for America. I'm trying to build a bit of a support network. :) Email me -- Savanna at byu dot net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Drake!
    I just found out today that I too will be a Teach for America 2010 corp member. I am placed in Las Vegas in elementary as well!! Contact me via facebook or by email so we can chat. ksthor01@moreheadstate.edu

    Kami Thornton

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Gotta love all the congratulatory messages! :)

    ReplyDelete