Sunday, November 15, 2009

NODAC 2009

You know you have a cool job when they pay you to go to a conference at the Disneyland Resort. The first week in November the staff in Office of First-Year Experience and I traveled to Anaheim to attend the National Orientation Directors Association Conference. It was pretty neat. We got to attend various different sessions hearing from other orientation directors about new student orientation on their campuses. We had been invited to share about our peer mentor training in a poster session (basically a grown-up's science fair). My supervisor and I worked hard to make the poster engaging and professional.


I've been to one other conference for work before, and one of the most fun things is getting to eat out. We have a fixed per diem and so we go out to eat every night--this is pretty out of the ordinary for someone who's only eaten out at at 6 restaurants in his life, 4 of which are Wendy's. We ate at ESPN Zone, Rainforest Cafe, and IHOP. Eggnog pancakes are to die for!
But of course, the best part was Disneyland! This was my second time ever going (the first time being when I was 18). As I recounted my previous experience to Bryce, it soon became apparent that I did not fully experience Disneyland on my first time. When my family went, Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain, and the Matterhorn were all closed. So I experienced those rides for the first time. Heather, the Assistant Dean in our office, had never been to Disneyland, so it was great showing her around for the first time. She got soaked at Splash Mountain! We were laughing so hard.

Even after experiencing all of the other rides, I think Indiana Jones is still my favorite. Yeah, Disneyland!

No comments:

Post a Comment