Sunday, October 25, 2009

The TFA Saga Continues...


On Tuesday I had my final interview with Teach For America. I spent the morning with 7 other applicants and 2 interviewers in a variety of activities. First, we had our sample teaching lesson--I think the theory is get the most stressful thing done first. We each had five minutes to teach some objective. I taught about fixed mindset v. growth mindset. Someone with a growth mindset believes they can cultivate their qualities and efforts through effort. Then we had a group discussion, a personal reflection, and a test of sorts. In each of these they put us in hypothetical situations a corps member might face, like long-term educational planning, or deciding how to improve attendance at a school. Then in the afternoon, we each had a personal interview--the more traditional one-on-one answer questions kind. I felt pretty good about the whole day, especially about the morning activities. I'll find out on November 10 whether or not I'm accepted. If I am, I'll find out my regional assignment and likely grade assignment as well. I really, really hope I get in--as one of the interviewers told his story as a corps member, I remember feeling a confirmation inside that this is an amazing thing to do and I could really make a difference. Now's it just waiting anxiously for two weeks 'til I find out!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like an amazing opportunity! I'm sure you'll get in! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete