Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Not All Play

My trip to Africa wasn't all playing with kids and safari.  This year, as an Advisor, I was given the task of creating a performance evaluation system for the employees of Care For Life's Family Preservation Program. First I researched all about performance evaluations systems, and talked to friends and family who were managers to learn all about their systems.  I read a lot about my own evaluation tool, the one for CCSD teachers, and ended up using it as a model for the CFL evaluation.  I then combed through the CFL business plan and conducted field observations to learn about the responsibilities of each person in the program.   Finally, after creating a rough draft of the document, I sat with each level of employee (field officers, supervisors, coordinators) to get their input and ideas on the evaluation. One thing I'm really excited about is the personal professional goal.  I added a space on the evaluation for the employee to come up with a personal professional goal, and to discuss that with their manager.  This is something I wish my evaluation had.  I believe this evaluation system will be very helpful to Care For Life moving forward, and will make the incredible work they do even more incredible.

Also, while conducting the observations in the communities, I noticed that there wasn't a lot of modeling.   In a epiphany, I realized that I needed to share the gradual release model of teaching with the staff: I Do, We Do, You Do.   In one sentence, this is an effective lesson structure that begins with the teacher modeling, includes guided practice with teacher feedback, and finally independent practice.   So I prepared an I Do, We Do, You Do training for the last staff meeting I was in Mozambique, and it went over smashingly.   The staff really internalized the idea and saw immediately how it would be applicable--it's not enough to just explain to the zone leaders how to visit families, you have to model how to do so in an actual visit.  Again, this is a small thing to make their incredible work even better.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool Drake. You really are good at creating programs like that. I'm glad it went over smashingly. :)

    ReplyDelete