Sunday, August 8, 2010

TFA Institute 2010

Wow. Talk about a whirlwind two months! I don't know that I've ever been so busy, so overwhelmed, and so excited in my life. Let me try and get you all up-to-date.

So at the end of June I packed up my life in Provo and drove down to Vegas. I was there for a week of training called induction. 50 other recent college grads from around the country joined me in Vegas, and together we made up the 2010 Las Vegas Valley Teach For America Corps. I was amazed at how quickly and completely we formed a community. In just 5 days, we all bonded together and became really good friends. We learned about the achievement gap in Nevada, and what our role would be as leaders in the movement to end educational inequality.

In what seemed like a blink, we were off to institute--the TFA teacher training boot camp in Los Angeles. Over 200 corps members from Las Vegas, LA, the Bay area, and Kansas City all came together for the most intense 5 weeks of our lives. I pulled into Loyola Marymount University on a Saturday afternoon, and got my assignment letter: Stevenson Middle School, 8th Grade English Language Arts. I was ecstatic. I get to be a teacher!

At Institute, every corps member gets a chance to teach in a real summer school classroom. We share the classroom with our collaborative, 4 teachers total that split up the two periods.

Here's a typical day at institute.
5:30am Wake up, stuff backpack with student work, and run off to breakfast
6:35am Bus for Stevenson Middle School leaves
7:30am Campus morning meeting
8:00am Summer School starts, all four teachers work together in the classroom
8:40am one of a variety of teacher training sessions
10:30am my 8th graders arrive in their second period
11:45am My Lead Teach Time! I'm in front of the classroom teaching my kids how to find theme
12:30pm School's Out!
1:00pm More, more, more sessions
4:30pm Bus leaves Stevenson
5:15pm Grab some dinner at the dining hall
6:00pm Start lesson planning for the next day, and for the next week, making handouts, posters, scripting out what you will say, making management plans, etc
11:00pm - 1:00am Get to bed at some insane hour just to do it all again tomorrow :)

It was intense, difficult, and trying work. There were days when I didn't know if I could do it. Planning how to teach writing to my kids is trickier than it sounds. Yet seeing their results on the final writing assessment made it all worth it. When a student who wrote two sentences on their diagnostic essay goes on four weeks later to write a well-composed four paragraph essay, that is a great feeling.

Mr. Allsop and Ms. Talbot waiting for the bus on a Friday afternoon

My co-teacher Ms. Alberti in our classroom, Room 21

So before I knew it, I was saying goodbye to my kids at Stevenson, and back in Las Vegas. I got back on August 1, and starting looking for a place to live. We got back on Sunday, then on Tuesday we started full-day sessions again to get us ready for the first day of school. We worked on our big goals, long-term plans, unit assessments, unit plans, and more. I have a whole new respect for teachers--there is so much to do, know, and plan! State standards, writing tests, setting goals, picking a theme, preparing a classroom, meeting parents and students, managing behavior, etc, etc, etc! Again, it's been hard work, and I don't have it all figured out, but I'm confident that I will. My roommate Jordan and I found a place to live, I've been hired by Clark County School District, and, ready or not, I'm a teacher!

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Drake!!!! I love you! And I miss you too, but oh well! On to bigger and better things I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have to wear nice clothes everyday to school?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a mailing address. Congrats on being a teacher now you have a lot in common with your cousin. oxoxox Grandma

    ReplyDelete