Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Drake By Any Other Name

I've never really had a nickname. I mean, Drake is pretty cool already. :) Thanks, Mom! Still, there are a lot of variations on my name. Let's see...

Draker, Drakey, Drakster, Mr. Drake, Drako, Drakalicious,
Cougar Drake, Dr. D, Drakito, Draké, Drakob, Drakage, D-rake
I know there's more...

You know, a lot of these variations have a story, or there's certain people that call me that and I just love it. Like when I moved into my first apartment post-mish I lived with these five guys who couldn't be more different than me but that I couldn't love more, and from day one I was dubbed "Cougar Drake!" They would always say it with gusto, and it made me feel special. Ah, I love those Mesa kids! Or Mr. Drake--that's from the two most wonderful girls I know from high school, and to hear them say it just makes me happy. My amazing cousin calls me Drakito, which I believe traces back to the fact that she speaks Spanish and I served Portuguese -speaking. Draker pretty much belongs to my sister. It used to bug me when we were squabbling teenagers, but know that we're so close I actually enjoy it just fine.

I like my name. I've never met another first-name Drake, and I like it that way. It's one syllable (my dad insisted that boy names be one syllable), easy to remember, and almost impossible to mess up. It's unique, but not far-out. I'm glad to be Drake!

1 comment:

  1. Drakito! You're right. No other name would suit you. It had to be Krake...Oh, I mean Drake.

    ReplyDelete