Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dear Parking Services

So last semester I buzzed up to campus one evening and parked near the Tanner Building. It was 4:56pm, but I wasn't worried at all because on-campus lots open to all parking at 4. Anyway, I get back to my car and turns out that that particular lot was enforced until 6:00pm, and I had a ticket. I wrote them the following letter:

Dear Parking Services,

Thank you for your accurate implementation of parking policies. I was indeed parked in a zone during a time slot which was not permitted.

I have abided by the parking rules during my entire residence in Provo. It was my understanding that the lot I was parked in was for faculty from 7am to 4pm, like other faculty lots. By parking there at 4:56, I felt assured in the fact I was being obedient to the parking rules. I admit I was misinformed, as this particular lot had hours extending to 6pm. Because of this citation, I have already had my “knowledge enhanced,” which is part of the mission of the University Police Department.

I am completely willing to pay the citation, as I was in the wrong. However, I believe that the sudden pang of guilt upon seeing the ticket was quite sufficient punishment. Perhaps you’ll agree that the $20.00 fine could be put to better use by staving off Ramen for a few more days, or by brightening the Friday evening of some fine young lady by asking her on a date.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Drake Allsop

I got a response back that while they couldn't repeal the citation, they would drop it to $11.00. Better even than the money I saved were the laughs my friends and I had at my letter. I can't help but think the humor might have also brightened someone's day in Parking Services.

2 comments:

  1. I knew about this letter, but hadn't actually read it. Thanks for sharing.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your article and this is well written and the ideas on valet parking were simply

    ReplyDelete