Monday, January 16, 2012

Why I LOVE My Kids

1.  During Read to Self I sat in a corner reading with one of my students.   In order to model appropriate expression, I read one part of the text as almost a scream, and a little too loudly for our quiet center time.  As we returned to our seats, A chastised me for disturbing his and the class's quiet working environment.  I quickly acknowledged him and apologized.  I love it when students advocate for themselves.

2.  Months ago, Student R gave me 990 x 990 on a piece of paper as a seemingly impossible math problem to solve.   I returned it to him with the answer.   Now that I've taught them double-digit multiplication and how to multiply with zeros, he came to me the other day and said, "Mr. Allsop, you did it wrong!"  He proceeded to write me a note detailing my incorrect answer and the actual correct way to solve.  He was right.  I was wrong.  And I was smiling the whole time because I was so proud of him.

3.  "V, you wander around like .... like...." I searched for a word to describe the aimless meanderings of my student who cannot stay still.  He supplied this response: "...like I got a cockroach in my pants?"

2 comments:

  1. I was just going to say that 3 was my favorite too! :) Oh the things that little children say. :)

    ReplyDelete